Monday, November 1, 2010

November challenge - what an appropriate date


Today starts a 30 day challenge to create some sort of art each day for the month of November. It was one year ago on November 1st that I had my first art therapy session during a time of extreme sadness. I was scared sh**less and apologized to the instructor about a thousand times about how bad it was going to be, and she said the words that I tell myself still - art is not graded or judged - just a way to express yourself and to heal. Our first task was to draw ourselves beside a gate, and my stick figure person was next to a big black gate - appropriate for the way I was feeling then. But I got my feelings out, and over the next months of going through the art therapy, at different locations, I realized that I actually liked it and I could be proud of my creativity. And here I am a year later after that time - with a picture appropriately titled "Happiness is the key" - and you all have helped me feel that way (most days!). I learned how to do this page from a wonderful FREE class I am taking online from Willowing. I did one of these projects already, but I liked it so much I wanted to try again! I used watercolor crayons and pencils, acrylic paints, and stamping. Oh, and a regular old pencil!




9 comments:

  1. Gretchen, I am SO proud of you!!! You came such a long way in one measly little year! Congratulations and BIG soul hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretchen...what a wonderful story and I admire you so much for getting out there in the first place and now to see how far you've come.
    What a lovely mantra, too.
    Happy November 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful face for such a good quote! You're on your way, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you wrote!! And those blue eyes on your girl are beautiful. You've come a long way baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a far cry from stick figures a year ago! Congratulations on your amazing progress and to a wonderful artist! I love your page and the sentiment it evokes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowsers Gretchen.....stand proud of yourself.....as you've discovered art allows us to express ourselves and it does not need to be judged or critiqued ....simply accepted. As we accept our art we then begin to accept ourselves. I'm proud of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!
    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. how wonderful to have such a fine record of you incredible progress through the year

    ReplyDelete